[rt-users] Re: problem with rt2-to-rt3 upgrade

Myra Chachkin myra at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 14 16:34:17 EST 2004

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago ("problem with rt2-to-rt3 upgrade").  My problem was
that the export script successfully unloaded my RT2 tickets, but the import
script only inserted the first thousand or so tickets into the RT3 database,
although it reported that it was processing all the tickets.  I didn't receive
any replies, so presumably no one else saw this problem...probably because no
one else was foolish enough to change operating systems, endianism, perl,
apache, postgres, and RT versions all at the same time.  <grin>

However...since then I've figured out a little bit more.  When I kept a close
watch on the postgres log while running the import script, I would
occasionally see "parser: unterminated quoted string at or near ...", or
"invalid UNICODE character sequence found", or "+ at character 413d quoted
string at or near...", etc.  The current ticket would have a binary attachment
such as an Excel spreadsheet.  I've already had problems _exporting_ tickets
with binary attachments, but the export script would fail completely on those
and not continue.  The import script continues on with no further errors, but
all tickets following the problem ticket are not inserted into the database.

My only solution to this so far is to remove each problem ticket from the
dumpfile directory, recreate the RT3 database, and re-run the import script.
Obviously this is very time-consuming, and I lose the problem tickets in the
transition.  I would appreciate any suggestions on how to debug or fix this.

Thanks,
Myra