[rt-users] Charset conversion trouble

Blaz Zupan blaz at amis.net
Tue Jan 20 09:28:05 EST 2004

I've seen a couple of discussions on this subject in this forum, but no
solution yet.

We have trouble with international characters in RT 3.0.8, specifically
with characters from the ISO-8859-2 character set.

After some investigation, here is what I found out. After shutting down
Apache and restarting it, everything works fine. Sending a mail with
ISO-8859-2 character set from both Pine and Evolution on Unix and
Outlook Express on Windows arrives fine in RT and characters are
displayed as they should.

After some time, mail being sent from the same user agents (Pine,
Evolution, Outlook Express) suddenly have the non ASCII characters
garbled.

So, basically just after freshly starting Apache (and RT), everything
works just fine, but a bit later the international characters get
garbled. I have no idea what happens or when it starts to fail, but I
can easily reproduce this after a couple of hours. As a test, I just
sent a mail with three international characters (c with caron, s with
caron and z with caron) and it arrived garbled. Mail was sent from Pine
on FreeBSD. Then I stopped Apache and restarted it and after resending
the same mail from the same application, the international characters
come through just fine.

It almost looks like an uninitialized or incorrectly initialized
variable somewhere.

Interesting enough, on all mails the subject is decoded properly, only
the body is garbled. But in the History output of the ticket, even the
Subject: line is garbled.

Is this maybe a clue to someone on what might be going on?