[rt-users] Solution for the different mailserver<->webserver problem

Erik Wasser erik.wasser at iquer.net
Tue Jul 20 07:02:37 EDT 2004

Hello rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com,

we got here the problem that our webserver is not our mail server. So
you have to transfer the incoming mails to your RT-server to so you can
pipe it to 'rt-mailgate'.

You have several options to do so:

- piping via SSH and identifing user key (no comment on that 'solution')

- The RT3-server could pull the tickets via POP3 from the mail server.
Personaly I think it's bad because you have a delay between an incoming
mail and the appearance in the ticket system. This is bad if a
customers sends a ticket and calls nearly at the same time.

- You can put the mail via the modul Frontier::RPC2[1] to a cgi-bin
'RPC-daemon backend' which feeds the mail to the ticket system.

Application chain:

1) Mailserver feeds the mail to filter-rt3.pl

2) filter-rt3.pl connects via HTTP (you can use HTTPS of course)
to rt3.company.net/cgi-bin/mail-gateway.pl

3) mail-gateway.pl pipes the mail to bin/rt-mailgate.

Advantages:

a) Short perl scripts (total 200 lines)
b) SpamAssassin-check is included too (other checks can be included very
easy)
c) simple code
d) fail-safe
e) authentification via a plain password (which is quite enough for this
case)
f) "real-time"

The scripts are working out-of-the-box for qmail but they will fit very
easy in your enviroment. If you are interested drop me a mail.

[1]http://search.cpan.org/~kmacleod/Frontier-RPC-0.07b4/lib/Frontier/RPC2.pm

--
So long... Fuzz