[rt-users] installation comments

Albert Dvornik bert+rt at rti.com
Mon Jul 26 16:59:15 EDT 2004

"Michael S. Liebman" <m-liebman at northwestern.edu> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 01:27:41PM -0400, Albert Dvornik wrote:
> > After installation, etc/RT_Config.pm had the mode 550 (perhaps
> > because of my umask?).  This meant it wasn't readable by the
> > unprivileged user that Apache was running under.  And that caused
> > the scripts not to work.
>
> Most likely that means you didn't pass the proper groups to
> configure with the --with-web-group and --with-web-user switches.

Hmmmm, you almost had me convinced until I looked at the makefile.
The "fixperms" make target runs:

        chown -R $(BIN_OWNER) $(DESTDIR)/$(RT_ETC_PATH)
        chgrp -R $(RTGROUP) $(DESTDIR)/$(RT_ETC_PATH)

        chmod 0550 $(DESTDIR)/$(CONFIG_FILE)
        chmod 0550 $(DESTDIR)/$(SITE_CONFIG_FILE)

to explicitly set the ownership (to --with-bin-owner and
--with-rt-group) and permissions.

Older documentation implies that the FastCGI handler should be running
in the "rt" group, which would (perhaps) solve this.  But my
mason_handler.fcgi script hasn't been installed setgid.  Is this
wrong?  Or maybe that was changed (the makefile.in doesn't seem to say
anything about chmod'ing things setgid)?

--bert