[rt-users] UTF8 to ISO8859

Paulo Matos pjsm at fct.unl.pt
Mon Jun 21 10:08:11 EDT 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, abdoul wrote:

> I wonder where I can change the X-RT-Original-Encoding: utf-8  to iso8859
>
> I changed the configuration file, but each time we send emails in french,
> emails are sent with unreadable characters.

On RT_SiteConfig.pm, I use the following settings:

@EmailInputEncodings = qw(iso-8859-1 us-ascii utf-8) unless (@EmailInputEncodings);
Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'iso-8859-1');

and it works ok. The Header 'X-RT-Original-Encoding' is AFAIK correct
since RT internally uses utf8 (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

There are, however, some problems with utf8 and perl 5.8.0-3. I experience
them when I receive an email in utf8.

Basically, until you bump your perl installation to at least 5.8.3 you
won't be able to have utf8 behaving correctly, you can workaround a lot of
the problems but dear Mr. Murphy will appear somewhere...

--
	Paulo Matos