[rt-users] Request for comments: Configurable Status

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jun 24 16:27:07 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 13:59, Brett Barnhart wrote:
> Personally, I don't move tickets around queues unless it was placed
> wrongly...

Most of ours are 'placed' by customers mailing to support aliases and
they generally don't know if they are doing something wrong (likely)
or the software really is broken (less likely, but stuff happens...).
Different sets of people need to deal with different types of
problems.  Probably 90% of the tickets have one question, one answer
and are resolved by the first support person to see them.  The others
can be a lot messier and I want to minimize the clutter and
notifications for people who don't need to see them.

> I may not want the original requestor to see all the notes back and forth
> about programming and testing. So, I use the dependencies a lot.

We use comments vs. replies to control what the requestor sees but
dependencies might be what I need to hold the view in one queue
while work is completed by another group.  If there were a quick
and easy way to create a linked dependent ticket in the other
queue and stall the current one until the child is resolved it
could work. I still think continued correspondence with the
requestor should find its way to both sets of people as work
continues at least as an option.  The customer or support person
may come up with a work-around that makes the development job
unnecessary.

> A given project will have one project ticket.
> Each project will have one or more programming ticket.
> Each programming ticket will have a testing ticket.

I take it you don't create these dozens of times a day, though...

> If you move the ticket around... you loose that paper trail. Programmer 1
> moved the ticket to queue 2... was their part done or did they give up or
> something else happen?

The ticket does show a transaction history, so anytime you can find it
you can see what steps happened in what order.  The catch is that you
need to remember something about the ticket to find it after it leaves
your queue - there's nothing left to remind you that it is not
completed.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com