[rt-users] Debian setup: postgres problem?

Stephen Quinney stephen.quinney at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jun 28 04:52:55 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:07:49PM +1000, Jens Porup wrote:

> But if I tail the logs during the server restart, this line pops up just after
> the restart finishes:
>
>         root at request-tracker:~# tail -f /var/log/postgresql/postgres.log
>         ...<snip>...
>         LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> But a simple Perl script connects to the database without dying, like so:
>
>         use DBI;
>         my $dsn = "dbi:Pg:dbname=template1";
>
>         ###
>         ### But this dsn fails!!
>         ### my $dsn = "dbi:Pg:dbname=template1:host:localhost";
>
> 		###
> 		### For some reason adding host:localhost makes everything die!!!
>
>         my $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, "rtuser", "wibble") or die "doh!\n";
>
> And yes, I do have the correct lines in my /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
> -- except for that didn't work, for some reason postgres was actually
> reading my /var/lib/postgres/data/pg_hba.conf instead, so I've symlinked
> the /etc conf file to the /var/lib file.

Which version of the Debian postgresql package do you have installed?
If this is the case it is a bug in the packaging of postgres.

It sounds to me from your description of the problem that there is
something odd going on with your pg_hba.conf. Could you reply with all
the non-comment lines so I can see what you've got there at the
moment.

Stephen Quinney