[rt-users] EX_TEMPFAIL for emails containing attachments

Peter Silver psilver at ultrafast.com.au
Tue Mar 16 01:05:37 EST 2004

Hi,

System info;
  RT 3.0.9
  DBIx::SearchBuilder 0.97_02
  mod_perl 1.29
  Apache 1.3.29
  Sendmail 8.12.10
  Perl 5.8.0
  MySQL 4.0.17

Over the past week or so I began seeing a large number of spamassassin
processes accumulating on our RT system.  I removed the spamassassin
config from our RT setup, and setup /etc/aliases to send directly to
rt-mailgate;

support: "|/opt/rt-3-0-9/bin/rt-mailgate --queue support --action
correspond --url http://our.rt.url"

support-comment: "|/opt/rt-3-0-9/bin/rt-mailgate --queue support
--action comment --url http://our.rt.url"

I now see the following error in /var/log/maillog;

"stat=Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL"

I've run a few tests, and this is only occuring with emails containing
attachments - all other emails are accepted by rt-mailgate and created
as a ticket in the RT system.

The rt log shows nothing for the incoming email.  The apache logs show
nothing strange.

I receive the following manually submitting an email with no attachment;

$ /opt/rt-3-0-9/bin/rt-mailgate --debug --queue support --action
correspond --url http://our.rt.url < testmsg
Connecting to
http://our.rt.url/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway at
/opt/rt-3-0-9/bin/rt-mailgate line 444, <> chunk 1.
ok
Ticket: 146294
Queue: support
Owner: Nobody
Subject: Test
Requestor: psilver at ultrafast.com.au

When I try submitting an email with an attachment, rt-mailgate will take
3mins before returning the following error;

An Error Occurred

500 read timeout

max_allowed_packet is set to 5M in MySQL, and $MaxAttachmentSize is
'10000000' in RT_SiteConfig.pm, so this isn't a problem since 30kb
attachments are failing.

Any suggestions as to what's causing this problem?

thanks,

Peter