[rt-users] Re: NIS authentication

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Mon Mar 22 11:40:20 EST 2004

I hate jumping into the midst of a problem, especially when I don't
understand the full scope of the issue, however, I do remember in Sun
Sys Admin I & II classes that our instructor warned us to stay away from
ACL's if possible.  I thought I odd that Sun would warn against it's own
feature (although they did the same with NIS), but they did.

If you're looking to allow certain users rights to certain
files/directories/etc, I would suggest SUDO.  There are security risks
doing this (for example, if you give sudo vi you can shell out as root),
but it might be better than ACLs.

John