[rt-users] RTFM

Max Norton M.B.Norton at bath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 08:24:26 EST 2004

Hi,

We've just started using RTFM ourselves.

> Am I correct in assuming that:
>
> 1)  RTFM is meant for internal use as a source for FAQs which can be pasted
> into RT ticket responses.

This is where it excels, it gives you an article base of frequent answers
which saves you from typing the same answer again and again.
It just saves you from copying and pasting the answer, the mechanism's
basically the same so once you've inserted an article into your message reply
it can be edited to fit the request.

> 2)  RTFM is not meant as a tool to display FAQs to the general public.

There's absolutely nothing stopping it from doing so, you can make articles
available to everyone.

> 3)  To view FAQs from RTFM, one must be an RT superuser.

You just need to add some rights, only superuser has access by default.
You need to add rights within the class configuration and the custom fields
configuration for the custom fields you're using with that class.

We tend to use groups as they're so easy to administer, so we've added
SeeClass and ShowArticle rights to the group. Under group
configuration/custom fields we've enabled a couple of custom fields for that
class, go to configuration/custom fields/group rights and give the same group
the ShowCustomField right.
The group now has read only access, just add more rights as needed.

Regards,
Max Norton
University of Bath Computing Services