[rt-users] Main encoding problem

Dag Bruck dag at dynasim.se
Tue Mar 30 08:10:02 EST 2004

Hi,

I have a persistent problem with mangled messages. I think the same
problem affects both message text and attachments.  A message enters
the system using one charset, but it seems RT (in a wide sense) gets
it wrong.

Here are the incoming raw message headers:

Note in particular the Content-Type line.  Here is the message the is
sent out by RT:

Managed-BY: RT 3.0.10 (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/)

What strikes me as particularly odd is the X-RT-Original-Encoding. The
text is also mangled, at least "funny" natinal characters outside of
ASCII.

Here is some system information:

RT: 3.0.10
Perl: 5.8.3
mod_perl: 1.27		(reinstalled after upgrading to Perl 5.8.3
Apache: 1.3.27		(not recompiled after upgrading to Perl 5.8.3)
Linux: RedHat 7.2

All Perl modules meet the requirements for RT 3.0.10, but I'm not sure
they are the latest thing. Neither have I downloaded them after the
latest Perl upgrade (we used to run 5.8.0 before).

Also of interest might be that I have set RT's output encoding to
iso-8859-1. We have some mail programs that do not like UTF-8 very
much. From RT_SiteConfig.pm:

@EmailInputEncodings = qw(utf-8 iso-8859-1 us-ascii) unless (@EmailInputEncodings);
#Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'utf-8');
Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'iso-8859-1');

Any help would be GREATLY apprciated! I have run UNIX systems for
quite some time, but Perl administration is pretty new to me.

Best regards,

Dag Bruck
Dynasim, Lund, Sweden