[rt-users] Exim3, RT3, pipes and errors

Dan Swan dswan at ceh.ac.uk
Mon May 10 03:53:52 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Had fun this weekend trying to get exim3/rt3 (debian packages) playing
together nicely.  The rt3 database is ported from rt2 using the scripts
available, the pipe commands for exim for the queues were taken directly
from aliases file from the previous server (running postfix).  Exim is
happily accepting and delivering mail to local users and also using
pipes to deliver mail to mailman run lists.

The error coming back from RT is something along the lines of:

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

   pipe to |/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue developers --action correspond
--url http://etc.etc.etc.ac.uk/ --debug
     generated by developers at etc.etc.etc.ac.uk
     Delay reason: Child process of address_pipe transport returned 75
(could mean temporary error) from command:
     /usr/bin/rt-mailgate

So far we have tried straight pipes, no fancy stuff in exim.conf, then
shortcut RT hacks in the exim.conf and also the shortcuts "hack"
described first on:

http://marc.free.net.ph/mbox/20030718.124547.fdd65678.txt

I've been googling furiously for any answers, and I'm really stumped.
the only thing I can think of is that the pipe transport needs separate
users specified for pipes to mailman and pipes to rt3 - does this sound
reasonable?  Has anyone else come across this problem?  Would my time
be wisely invested building exim4 from source, installing postfix, or
god forbid, going back to sendmail which I am at least vaguely familiar
with configuring..

regards,

Dan

--
Dr Dan Swan - Bio-Linux Developer | RHCE
EGTDC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR
http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/ | dswan at ceh.ac.uk