[rt-users] mail server on different machine

Peter Jamriško peter.jamrisko at advantel.cz
Fri May 14 07:17:51 EDT 2004

Thanks for your answer.

About Fetchmail I found two articles only - POP3Mailgate and
WindowsOSInstallGuide. Now it's little bit more clear how to use RT on
different machines. I already read FAQ and documentation FOR RT3, but
not for RT1. There is nothing about this problem in RT3 documentation.
You have just help for rt-mailgate (that i posted before) and faq and
documentation, where just a bit about this = nothong usefull.

I was confused with "you don't need mail server on 'rt server' ", but i
have to have at least sendmail or something similar to be able to send
every uotgoing email to central (in my case Qmail) mail server. I knew,
taht I have to say RT to send emails to qmail, but I didn't know how to
say it.

So, If I understand it correctly I have few choices:

1.a) set qmail (on machine1) to route (transfer) all emails for rt to
the RT machine2.
1.b) install sendmail (postfix or whatever) on the RT machine2 to be
able to receive email from the qmail machine1 and to send emails back to
qmail machine1
1.c) then make alias for user "rt" on the RT machine2 (something like |
"/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate rt correspond")

second possibility:
2.a) let qmail to send every email for rt to local mailbox of user "rt"
on local machnine1
2.b) install fetchmail on RT machine2 and set it up to look for new
emails (on machine1) every 5 minutes (via pop3/IMAP):
//
.fetchmailrc:
poll qmail.machine1 proto pop3 username rt password ***** mda
"/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --url http://localhost/ --queue general
--action correspond"
Run "fetchmail -d 300" (as the rt user) to have fetchmail run every 300
seconds as a daemon to check for mail on the mail server. You may want
to put this into a startup script.
//
2.c) install sendmail (postfix,..) on the RT machine2 to be able to send
emails to machine1 (qmail), which will then send them to normal users
(to requestors, to owners, ...)

Or can I use fetchmail to send emails from the RTmachine2 to the qmail
machine1 as well?
Or are there another ways?

Thanks for help.

Peter