[rt-users] RT 3 and Debian :-)

Marc Haber mh+rt-users at zugschlus.de
Fri May 28 02:33:21 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:08:21AM -0400, Stuart Krivis wrote:
> I just did an install of RT 3 on Debian stable using the packages from
> testing.

Installing request-tracker3 from testing on a stable system pulls in
perl from testing which in turn pulls in libc6 from testing. So you
currently have a system that combines the disadvantages of Debian
stable (being grossly outdated being one of them) and Debian testing
(where "no security updates - packages with security updates might not
be updated for months if their dependencies are not satisfied" is one
of the most prominent ones).

As a Debian developer, I'd like to strongly discourage that kind of
setup on a production setup.

Since rt3 wants to see perl 5.8, it is currently not possible to run
rt3 on Debian stable without serious security implications.

> I can highly recommend Debian for anyone looking to setup RT.

Unfortunately, I cannot concur with you.

Greetings
Marc Haber, Debian Developer