[rt-users] anyone able to get RT installed on a RH machine?

James McDonald james at jamesmcdonald.id.au
Tue Nov 9 16:21:01 EST 2004

John Bartelt wrote:

>>Is there anyone out there that has been able to get the latest RT installed
>>on a RH machine, in particular this version:
>>    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 2)
>>
>>I've been trying for weeks to get the necessary Perl modules to install.
>>And there seem to simply be numerous problems.  It appears that some of
>>the Perl module authors are anti-RH (not that I can blame them) and do
>>not test against RH.
>>

>I've never had a problem installing perl on RH. (I don't use RPMs for
>this.) I installed the basic perl in a custom location (/opt/perl) and
>then used CPAN to add the modules.
>I've installed hundreds of perl modules this way.
>
>John

The problem with the RH installation (I'm refering to FC1) is that when
you upgrade to a new compiler then try and compile new perl modules the
SSL modules in particular. The build will fail because the compiler
versions are different.

I've tried installing a seperate Perl also but It's not a great
work-around from an system administrators veiwpoint because it isn't
covered by package management. It becomes just another non-standard part
of an install that you have to re-install if your machine carks it.
Having said that if a second perl is the only way then go for it.

I think alot of people must have gotten around this by doing the RT
install on a fresh system that hasn't had an apt-get dist-upgrade done
on it and making sure they get all the SSL modules installed to begin
with and then upgrading later. Another possibility may be to point the
Perl module build process to the compiler that is the same version as
the one that compiled your Perl installation by using CC=/path/to/olg/gcc.