[rt-users] rt 3.2.2 - bad upgrade !

hubert lubaczewski hubert.lubaczewski at eo.pl
Thu Oct 21 11:56:05 EDT 2004

hi
we quite recently upgraded from 3.0.6 to 3.2.2.
just today i got really strange error, which (after approximatelly
5 hours of work) appeared to be caused by inserting too much data into
too small database-field.
it was transactions.data
which had type varchar(100) in my installation.

as i understand mysql silently accepts insertingo of larger portions of
text, and just cut's what's not fitting.
but we use postgresql, which behaves differently (more sanely i belive).
i.e. it raises error in such a case).

so, i was rather badly surprised, but i mangaged to do database dump,
changes varchar(100) to text (why text datatype is not used in
postgresql schema anyway? it looks just weird to stick with limits of
varchar instead of using text), reloaded and of it went.

BUT!
i checked and in 3.2.2 in schema there is varchar(255) on this field.
it has to be that upgrade procedure didn't change the datatype.
but why? and why didn't it say so?
i put me into spending enormous amount of time on something terribly
stupid.

it looks to me that either:
the upgrade procedure is fundamentally broken
or
i did mislook some kind of "fine-print" which said, convert your schema
by hand.

by the way - are there any other fields which i should convert by hand?
maybe i should do more conversions, but i'm just not aware of it?

depesz

--
hubert lubaczewski
Network Operations Center