[rt-users] Performance Issues

Jason A. Diegmueller doogles at doogles.com
Thu Sep 9 18:03:18 EDT 2004

RT Community:

I've hesitated from weighing in on this for a number of reasons, mostly
because the "horrible load times of 5-10 seconds" don't bother me all that
much, but probably moreso because RT is a free product that we have not
yet found the funds to purchase support for.

But with everyone now claiming they are getting 2s load times on Tickets,
I decided to start timing things with &Debug=1 and on large tickets see
averages around 11 seconds, with peaks as high as 15s.  This is for a
Ticket with maybe 30 entries, all text except for a small (25KB) Excel
spreadsheet.  An average Ticket in our system runs around 1s (just
created) to 3s (handful of entries).

Like Dan, I am no mysql expert, but have been using the "large system"
template since the beginning and am running InnoDB tables.  I'm using
mod_perl1 (compiled as DSO) on Apache 1.3.31.  Base system is Linux 2.4,
the hardware is an Intel P4 3.0GHz, 1.5GB DRAM.

We've got about 400 tickets, and mysql upon start takes up about 60MB
DRAM.

My holdup seems to be in httpd (CPU spikes hard when pulling up a
"largeish" Ticket), but as I'm running mod_perl I understand this is to be
expected.

Should I look at migrating to FastCGI?

-jd