[rt-users] RHEL3 (perl 5.8.0) UTF-8 Problems.. (now slightly OT)

Guy B. Purcell gpurcell at openharbor.com
Wed Sep 22 16:10:56 EDT 2004

On Sep 21, 2004, at 16:47, Nathan Ward wrote:

> On 21/09/2004, at 4:31 PM, Paul McFerrin wrote:
>
>> I didn't look at your debugging output but Perl 5.8.0 is buggy for
>> RT.  You need at least 5.8.3.
>
> In that case then, does anyone have any tips on deploying a second
> perl/(mod_perl|fastcgi) installation, which doesn't walk all over the
> one provided by distribution_x?

Actually, Nathan, you'll need to log onto RHN and have a look at what
RH has patched their Perl with.  Part of the "beauty" or RHEL is that
the version numbers are frozen with the OS release, with subsequent bug
fixes back-ported into that frozen version, which you can then get via
up2date.  In other words, while the version says 5.8.0, it may actually
contain all the fixes up through 5.8.5 (or whatever).  This behavior is
the reason I'm moving my RT installation to Solaris 9 from RHEL.  If
you really like RH, maybe the Fedora version would be better.

-Guy