[rt-users] RHEL3 (perl 5.8.0) UTF-8 Problems.. (now slightly OT)

Guy B. Purcell gpurcell at openharbor.com
Wed Sep 22 18:27:57 EDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 13:34, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> In that case then, does anyone have any tips on deploying a second
>>> perl/(mod_perl|fastcgi) installation, which doesn't walk all over the
>>> one provided by distribution_x?
>>
>> Actually, Nathan, you'll need to log onto RHN and have a look at what
>> RH has patched their Perl with.
>
> It's probably easier to do a tarball install of perl somewhere
> under /usr/local (probably the default) and use it with fastcgi.

Could very well be, but then why bother using RHEL in the first place,
if you're going to go around stuff they supply?  My point was that
Nathan may not even need a "newer" Perl because RH may have fixed the
relevant bugs in their idea of 5.8.0.  My preference is still to avoid
RHEL for RT because it's a pain either to deal with the strict version
requirements for all the various mods, or to work around them.

-Guy