[rt-users] Re: "weak references are not implemented"

Ruslan U. Zakirov Ruslan.Zakirov at acronis.com
Wed Sep 29 07:51:02 EDT 2004

Chris Knipe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IRT Scalar::Util, the version installed is 1.14, current with current
> available versions from CPAN.  CPAN also further reported the module to
> be up to date.
>
>> Also grepping on perl source code says that if you have perl with
>> SvWEAKREF(which is not conditional) then this error shouldn't appear.
>

> OK... This may be something, seeing that the error only appeared after I
> upgraded (manually) to perl 5.8.5.  Perhaps, I'll give the port version
> of perl 5.8.5 a try again to make sure perl is compiled with the propper
> options.  Is there a quick way to see whether WEAKREF is in fact left
> out of the perl compilation?
>

>> Do you use mod_perl? If so then it's possible that you've compiled
>> mod_perl against wrong libperl(perl's).
>

> Yep, again, I should try running via FastCGI as well...  I did recompile
> mod_perl a couple of times after upgrading to 5.8.5.  Just to proove
> myself, I recompiled mod_perl again now, with the same effects....
Yeah. Below is your problem.

> ===>   Registering installation for mod_perl-1.29_1
> ===> SECURITY REPORT:
>      This port has installed the following files which may act as network
>      servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the system.
> /usr/local/libexec/apache/libperl.so
I said "perl's" cause it make _sense_. mod_perl has own libperl file and
perl itself has one. '/usr/local/libexec/apache/libperl.so' - mod_perl
DSO library.

[snip]

>> run `locate libperl`
>

> This is huge... But here it is.
> /usr/lib/libperl.a
> /usr/lib/libperl.so
> /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> /usr/lib/libperl_p.a
And this is your problem. it's perl's libperl files that should be
placed into other dirs(like below with 5.8.5 when you have more then one
perl).

If you want replace old perl with new then you can rm old files from
/usr/lib/ (don't forget to *backup*) then may be(don't know) you need
rebuild mod_perl.