[rt-users] RT vs ........

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Apr 4 12:05:44 EDT 2005

Christopher Welsh wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Let me first say I am being sincere here with my questions. I simply
> wish to find reasons to keep RT over Track-IT. It's solid and does a
> good job.

> Workmates reply to my original email -------------------------------

[....]

> End Workmates comments -------------------------------

As it looks like, your company (or your co-worker) is looking for an
"all-in-one-solves-every-problem-in-no-time"-solution.

This is an ambitious goal, but seldomly achieved - fortune 500 companies
pay consultancies big bucks to integrate various solutions for this
purpose (and then it isn't guaranteed to work either <g>).
See this link:
http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/management/story/0,10801,77890,00.html

(The German article I originally read on paper is much more verbose:
http://www.computerwoche.de/index.cfm?artid=35216&category=162&Pageid=256
- but in German ...)

How many people and machines are you going to support, BTW? And how many
tickets/months are you estimating?
Is there a requirements specification?
Evaluating various SW-packages is a good thing - but you (your company)
should have come-up with a "wish-list" before reading the feature-lists
of various commercial offerings.
Otherwhise, you'll end-up buying whatever the vendor was able to feed
down on you as "important" or "worthwhile".

Clearly, you are in the middle of a little "office-intrigue", or you
have (at least in the eyes of your  co-worker) "overstepped" the lines
and are disputing his territory.
So, unless you can come-up with very much better numbers and a better
presentation (or some other non-technical points) the chances of you
winning this "pissing contest" may be not so good.

I wish you good luck anyway.

cheers,
Rainer

~     Rainer Duffner - rainer at ultra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~