[rt-users] Problems with German Umlaute

Russell Mosemann mose at ns.cune.edu
Mon Apr 18 15:40:06 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, HAM-MI-IC Torsten Brumm wrote:

> The RT handles the German Umlaute in the correct way.....normaly....but not
> in all cases. I have tried it out with lots of Mail Clients and Settings and
> i found one interessting point:

You don't say what happens when it isn't handled correctly. So, it's hard
to tell what's wrong.

Are you sure that this is an RT problem? If the email client does not
properly detect and mark the message as 8bit, nothing between the source
and destination is obligated to preserve 8-bit characters in a 7-bit
message. On some email servers, this type of message is rejected, because
it can be a sign of spam.

The problem could also be related to the (lack of) encoding of the
message. View the raw message and see what's in it for Content-Type,
X-RT-Original-Encoding and so on. That will tell you how the message was
encoded when it came in and how it was converted.

----
Russell Mosemann, Ph.D. * Computing Services * Concordia University, Nebraska
"I didn't get the word straight from the horse's mouth, but I got it
 from someone who grazes in the same pasture." - Don Sylwester