[rt-users] Can RT3.4.3 or RT3.4.2 run on apache 2+mod_perl?

Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com
Mon Aug 22 09:40:03 EDT 2005

The reason i am choosing mod_perl over FastCGI is because we need to
implement the "NTLM" (integrated windows authentication) module  for
Apache/Unix. The module is called as mod_ntlm.c and my search over the
internet showed that Apache1.3.9 and Apache 2.0 support it.  So, we want
to upgrade our current version of Apache to Apache 2.0 with any version of
mod_perl.

Has anyone installed the mod_ntlm module in Apache? If yes, does it work
fine with FastCGI?

Regards,
Ahalya Nathan
Senior Programmer / Analyst
Information Technology, Metropolitan Utilities District
(402) 449-8218 phone
(402) 449-8131 fax
ahalya_nathan at mudnebr.com

Christopher Allison <chris at cs.brandeis.edu>
08/19/2005 07:57 PM

"<rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com> <rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com>"
cc
"<Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com>", "Kelly F. Hickel" <kfh at mqsoftware.com>
Subject
Re: [rt-users] Can RT3.4.3 or RT3.4.2 run on apache 2+mod_perl?

On Aug 19, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Kelly F. Hickel wrote:

> I was able to do this last year on Fedora Core @2.  However, when I
> just tried it on a fully updated Fedora Core 4 machine with the latest
> RT, no joy.  I had problems with webmux.pl finding Apache2.pm and
> another file because they were in a Bundle subdirectory, I fixed that
> with a use lib line in webmux, then ran into a problem where perl said
> that the load subroutine was being redefined by  XSLoader.  I gave up
> and switched to FastCGI.
> -Kelly
>
> On Aug 19, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com wrote:
>
>> We are planning to configure RT on apache 2 with mod_perl.  We
>> require apache 2 to be installed and since there lot of posts which
>> showed configuration problems with apache 2, i was wondering if
>>  anyone has been successful in running any version of RT on apache 2

We're currently running RT 3.4.2 on RHEL 4's Apache (2.0.52). While,
like Kelly, we're using FastCGI rather than mod_perl, we've had
absolutely no trouble with apache 2.

>> and mod_perl ?

Once upon a time mod_perl2 was simply not an option with RT. See:

http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2005-April/
030477.html

While I can't speak from personal experience, recent postings to this
list have indicated that RT's previous inability to easily play nicely
with mod_perl may come to an end soon.

To quote Jesse ("[rt-users] 3.4.4 soon?"):

On Aug 18, 2005, at 1:57 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> I expect that we'll roll RT 3.4.4 sometime
> in the next week.  Now that Mason 1.30 is out, there's even a _slight_
> chance that it could include a first cut of actual, honest-to-goodness,
> mod_perl2 support. But that's purely speculation on my part.
>
> Jesse

While you say that you have a requirement that you use (or at least
install?) apache 2, you state no similar requirement that you use
mod_perl. Could you use Apache 2 with FastCGI? It worked for us "out of
the box," though of course, YMMV. If you have need to use mod_perl,
perhaps either RT 3.4.4 or something from the 3.5.x development family
will provide what you need. Alternatively, you might be able to try
using Apache2 with mod_perl1, but I believe that that has lead to many
headaches for others in the past. There are also instructions on
building your own apache + mod_perl are located on the BestPractical
wiki at:

                 http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?ManualApache

Best of luck,

-Chris Allison