[rt-users] RT and customer relations

Stephan Uhlmann su at inubit.com
Mon Aug 22 11:26:21 EDT 2005

Hello list,

currently our RT is accessible via only from intranet (only special email
addresses routed into it). But now we want that customers can see their
tickets via web, too. So we want to make the server public. But I hesitate
because of some problems.

1) For convenience we have one queue for each customer. Now if I let
unpriviledged users see the queues they see all our other customers, too.

2) Very often we have many different people on the customer side reporting and
dealing with the tickets. So different users need access to the same tickets.
Thus a solution like "let unprivileged users only access own tickets" is not
feasible.

My solution now would be to create one group for each customer, putting all
users working for that customer into that group and letting only this group
access the specific customer queue. Ideally customer users, groups an queues
could be generated/synchronized from an existing CRM database.

Now what I would like to know is, is that a good way to do it? How are other
people dealing with these problems?

Stephan