[rt-users] RT and customer relations

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Mon Aug 22 14:32:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 17:26:21 +0200, Stephan Uhlmann wrote:
> 1) For convenience we have one queue for each customer. Now if I let
> unpriviledged users see the queues they see all our other customers, too.

So make them privileged. Privileged users do NOT have any rights other than
unprivileged, except the right to get rights. Obviously if you have some
rights assigned to the "Privileged" group, you will have to create another
group ("insiders" or somesuch), put all current users in it, give it the
rights and revoke the rights from "Privileged".

> 2) Very often we have many different people on the customer side reporting and
> dealing with the tickets. So different users need access to the same tickets.
> Thus a solution like "let unprivileged users only access own tickets" is not
> feasible.
>
> My solution now would be to create one group for each customer, putting all
> users working for that customer into that group and letting only this group
> access the specific customer queue. Ideally customer users, groups an queues
> could be generated/synchronized from an existing CRM database.

It should work. As I said, the users need to be privileged (unprivileged
users can't be members), but that does not give them any rights, so they can
only see what you want them to see.

The synchronization with CRM database should be possible in the hooks
provided for "external authentication".

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>