[rt-users] OT: Big thank you

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Sat Dec 17 14:35:07 EST 2005

After reading this list for a few days, I just wanted to say just how
much I appreciate the work of whoever did the debian packaging for RT.
I've watched all the people having troubles solving dependencies, etc,
and see similar questions all over the archives, and, well, my
experience was different:

	apt-get install request-tracker-3.4
	(read astonishing amount of dependencies that go with it and then hit
return)
	configure
	announce!

Beginning to end, took me about three hours, and the installation part
was by far the easiest part of that - zero effort, really.

For those of you who are fighting with rpm dependency hell, if you've
got an extra box laying around, you might just try the debian version.
Note: I'm not a debian fanboy - my preferred desktop distro is SuSE,
which is RPM-based.  I just thought I'd relate to the list my experience
getting RT going on my debian server.  Experience was good!

Thanks again to the packager(s).