[rt-users] Upgrade strategy?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Feb 2 10:21:01 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:12:09AM -0600, Bob Goldstein wrote:

> Any advice for 3.2.0->2.4.0 strategy?
>
> In the past, I've installed the new code in a new directory and
> created two urls, so I could run either the new code or old at
> the drop of a click, both using the same database.

That's a reasonable strategy for minor version bumps but won't work
between 3.2 and 3.4.

> However, bold is not the same as foolhardy. I notice there are
> schema changes that involve deletion of columns, as well as
> addition. Even if I only do the additions (to start), I'm
> guessing that running the old code (which won't populate the new
> columns) and new code (which might become unhappy at seeing new
> tickets with null values in these new columns) might not be
> overly wise.

Right. I suspect that it might be possible to do with a database with
read/write views. But it's not something we planned for, tried or
recommend.

> Plan B is copy the prodution database, upgrade code-and-db,
> and test on the testbed.  Safe, but it won't be tested
> as thoroughly by the staff.  Any suggestions (just technial
> ones, please.  Don't tell me to beat the staff with a stick :-)

That's the right thing to do. Perhaps it's worth offering some sort of
carrot to the staffmember who best-tests the new system or finds the
most issues on the testbed server.

	Jesse