[rt-users] err or on attempted password change (rt3.4)

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Feb 7 14:53:00 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 14:15 -0500, Duncan Hutty wrote:
> [snip]
> System error
> error:          The crypt() function is unimplemented due to excessive
> paranoia. at /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/User_Overlay.pm line 1119.
This is an error generated by perl, not by RT -- it is documented in
perldiag, which says:

       The crypt() function is unimplemented due to excessive paranoia
           (F) Configure couldn't find the crypt() function on your machine,
           probably because your vendor didn't supply it, probably because
           they think the U.S. Government thinks it's a secret, or at least
           that they will continue to pretend that it is.  And if you quote me
           on that, I will deny it.

  This is rather rare on most modern operating systems and perls.  The
solution is to run using a perl which supports the crypt() function.
 - Alex