[rt-users] rt 3.4.0 / mysql 4.1.9 "initialize-database" error

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Mon Feb 7 15:40:09 EST 2005

I'm trying to get RT 3.4.0 going on a Fedora Core 2 box, using the
latest stable release of MySQL (4.1.9).  I'm getting an authentication
error when I try to do the database initialization.  I found this
reference in the list archive
(http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2003-May/
014025.html) but the answer of "Don't use MySQL 4.1.x" doesn't seem to
apply anymore -- the docs indicate anything in 4.1.x should be fine.
Someone else seems to have had the same problem more recently
(http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2004-August/
025558.html) but I don't see a response to that thread.

If the root mysql user has a password, the connect immediately after
the first connect attempt, like so:

usr/bin/perl //usr/local/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --dba
root --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database,this script needs to
connect to your mysql instance on localhost as root.
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
database
password, just press return.
Password:
DBI connect(';host=localhost','root',...) failed: Client does not
support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading
MySQL client at //usr/local/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 101Failed
to connect to dbi:mysql:;host=localhost as root: Client does not
support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading
MySQL client at //usr/local/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 101,
<STDIN> line 1.make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

If the mysql root user has no password (and I just type enter at the
password prompt) it goes a bit further, but still dies:

Password:
Now creating a database for RT.
Creating mysql database rt3.
Now populating database schema.
Creating database schema.
Done setting up database schema.
Now inserting database ACLs
Done setting up database ACLs.
Now inserting RT core system objects
[Mon Feb  7 20:27:50 2005] [crit]: Connect Failed Client does not
support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading
MySQL client
  at //usr/local/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 384
(/usr/local/rt3/lib/RT.pm:285)
make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

Does this look familiar to anyone?  Is there something I can do to
further troubleshoot this, or are the docs wrong about 4.1.x working?

Thanks,
    Matt