[rt-users] RT sends multiple copies of same messages to people

Andy Harrison aharrison at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:25:16 EST 2005

On Fri,  7 Jan 2005 11:01:02 -0500, Sheeri Kritzer
<sheeri.kritzer at tufts.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> RT sometimes sends multiple copies of the message to the same people.  We're
> using RT 3.2.2 on Solaris 9 with Apache 1.3.31, Perl 5.8.3, modperl1 and MySQL
> 4.0.21.
>
> Global scrips that affect this problem:
>
> On Correspond Notify AdminCcs with template Admin Correspondence
> On Correspond Notify Requestors and Ccs with template Correspondence
> On Correspond Notify Other Recipients with template Correspondence
> OnCorrespond Notify Owner
>
> Many of our queues have watchers, and often the watchers are owners of the
> tickets (though not necessarily) in the queue.  However, if someone has 2 roles,
> they get e-mailed twice -- for instance, if someone is a watcher on a queue as
> well as an owner of the ticket, they get e-mailed twice.  This gets compounded
> when users think, "oh, let me cc this person on this message because I want them
> to know about it".  We then end up with people getting 2-3 emails every time a
> ticket is generated.
>
> Scrolling down to the place where I can save changes to disable people from
> getting e-mail, I find that if I uncheck *one* of the places where the user gets
> mail, RT tries to be clever and says, "OK, I won't send this person mail at all"
> and takes out any and all entries -- if I uncheck the person in "notify owner"
> and hit "save changes", then the person is taken out of "notify adminccs" too.

I wonder if your users table might need a little cleaning.  Like if
you have user 'joe' with e-mail 'joe at example.com', but you also have a
user (who was autocreated) 'joe at example.com' with the same e-mail
address.  Click to include disabled users in the user list and have a
look.

--
Andy Harrison