[rt-users] mysql slowness

Nathan Kroll krolln at msoe.edu
Tue Jul 12 10:53:42 EDT 2005

So upon upgrading to 3.4 (latest debain release), we started to notice
extreme slowness (in excess of 2 minutes) upon loading the query builder
or sometimes when trying to create a new ticket.  To try to troubleshoot
this, first I tried to move from apache1 and mod_perl to apache2 with
fastcgi.  There was some improvement, but still taking minutes to load
sometimes and fastcgi needed apache2 to be restarted daily otherwise it
hung.  When watching the processes via top while loading query builder or
doing any of the other “slow” tasks, the mysqld process would sometimes
use upwards of 80-90 percent of the CPU.  Due to the different
combinations of apache, apache2, and modperl, fastcgi, and speedycgi, the
observation from top leads me to believe that the slowness is not due to
the webserver or perl processor, but due to mysql.  We have close to
19,000 tickets and numerious users in our system and it’s never been super
fast, but with 3.4, it’s becoming unbearable.

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas to try and speed mysql or everything
up in general.  Has anyone else had this problem with so many tickets?  Is
the solution to drop some of the historical tickets?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Nate Kroll

Milwaukee School of Engineering