[rt-users] RT-Mailgate + Debian + Exim4

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Jul 27 18:00:38 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> Is this an easier solution?  When I installed Debian it picked exim4 as
> the MTA.

I already have experience administering a Postfix mail server, so for me
it was easier.

> I take it then I should split the files up into smaller files
> then instead of the large ones?

You're talking about the Debian option to have Exim4's configuration be in
lots of little files vs. one big one?  I personally prefer the one big
one; I find it easier to search through.  Others will have their own
preferences of course.

If you switch mail serving to Postfix, Postfix won't use your exim4
configuration.  So for me, it didn't matter how I answered the that Debian
option.

If you have a big complicated mail setup on the RT server already, you
might want to avoid switching, of course.  You could also try Odhiambo
Washington's suggestion of following
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229052 , which has the
advantage of looking a lot like "The Right Way".  For me, postfix was
faster to configure for RT, and if you don't have effort already invested
in exim4, I imagine it will be faster for you, too.

-- Asheesh.

--
"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
- Ben Jonson