[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to HelpdeskandCCothers

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Mar 6 16:12:07 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 15:49, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> > I'm tempted to say *all* MUA's generate a parseable IRT header these
> > days;
>
> Where in 2822 does it say I need to do that? /bin/mail sure doesn't do
> that.

I suspect you could count the people using /bin/mail as their favorite
MUA on your toes.

> I don't know about you, but I've got a fair number of users who start a
> new ticket by replying to an old ticket and changing the subject and
> body.  If this is really the behaviour you want, you should use the
> --extension=ticket functionality in rt-mailgate to get ticket-specific
> email addresses.

I fairly often get tickets CC:'d to my own address and reply to my
copy before noticing that an alias pointing to RT is also included in
the addresses.  This, of course makes an unrelated ticket that is
hard to match up with the one made by the original email.  When I
do this myself it is hard to complain about others doing it...

Perhaps for messages missing the ticket number in the subject line
you could check for a match on IRT with a known msg-id but only
merge it if the subject line still matches minus a leading RE:.

That should cover desired behavior either way.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com