[rt-users] Depends-on vs. Parents

Drew Barnes barnesaw at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:50:33 EST 2005

A more concrete example of what Todd is talking about would go as
follows for us:

A request comes in that there are 2 computers that need to be
configured.  One is a replacement, and the other is a new machine.
Since one is a new machine, we will need to make sure there is an active
network drop.

Ticket 1146 (original ticket): Set up both new machines and arrange
delivery of the replacement
  |___ Ticket 1147 (child of 1146, depends on 1148 below): Get location
for the new machine
     |___ Ticket 1148 (in queue "Activations"): Check for a network
drop. Activate if found, Drop a new one if necessary

With the parent/child relationships, 1146 can be resolved when the first
machine is delivered, but 1147 requires 1148 to be completed.

DB