[rt-users] Installing RT on RHEL 4.

Paul Crossman Paul.Crossman at tvguide.com
Thu Mar 10 16:56:02 EST 2005

RHEL4 does come with MySQL 4 client and server, and you can install the
server this time.  As you said, RHEL3 did not allow for the server to be
installed by default.  If I remember correctly, mysql-server was on one of
the extras disks, but I could be wrong there.

I'm thinking of going down one of two avenues from all the feedback I've
seen over the past couple of days.  I guess I'm looking for path to long
term ease of maintenance.

Scenario 1:  Using RPMS

    - re-install RHEL4 with perl and modperl included
    - download all the SRPMS form perl modules that I'm going
      To need and build RPMs on the RHEL system.
    - Install RT 3.0.12
    - Do some testing.
    - Upgrade to 3.4.x

Scenario 2:  Rolling my own

    - re-install (maybe) RHEL4 or just remove all the perl
      Packages and build my own perl from sources
    - Use CPAN to get modperl and all the modules I'll need
    - Install RT 3.0.12
    - Do some testing
    - Upgrade to 3.4.x

Thoughts???

Also, someone commented that I might have an easier go of it if
I used FastCGI rather than modperl.  I'm curious why this is?

Paul C.