[rt-users] RT mailgate failing on subject lines with single quotes

Chris Hardie chris at summersault.com
Thu Mar 10 17:27:41 EST 2005

Hi folks.  We recently had a client try to correspond on an existing
ticket in a queue/config that had been working fine and untouched for
quite a while.  He got a message back saying "Message could not be
recorded", and indeed the correspondence did not get attached to the
ticket.  The error in our HTTP log was:

[Thu Mar 10 22:17:55 2005] [error]: Scrip IsApplicable 69 died. - Can't call method "new" without a package or object reference at /home/rt/lib/RT/Transaction_Overlay.pm line 910.

At the time we were using 3.2.1.  I just upgraded to 3.4.1 and confirmed
the issue is still present.

After some playing around, I narrowed it down to the presence of single
quotes in the subject line text.  When the subject line contains them (and
the message is otherwise empty), the message fails.  When it does not, but
is otherwise the same - empty, the message goes through and is recorded.
I haven't tested it with other "weird" characters.

I'm not sure where the bug might be - I'm sure it's possible we have some
issue with a dependency module on our side - but it seems like an odd and
scary issue so I thought I'd bring it up.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris