[rt-users] WebExternalAuth vs mod_ntlm_winbind vs SelfService vs rt-mailgate vs my tattered sanity

Nathan J. Mehl rtusers at memory.blank.org
Wed Mar 23 17:59:27 EST 2005

The situation thus far:

I've got samba's mod_ntlm_winbind providing NTLM authentication to my
RT instance, and it is actually more-or-less working: with a few
caveats, Windows users can connect directly via IE and browse the
SelfService interface...

...except...

...we've been running without WebExternalAuth for the better part of a
year now, so most users already have an "account" created by
rt-mailgate where the account username is "user at company.com", and if
they log into the SelfService interface via WebExternalAuth, a _new_
user gets created for them that can't see the "other" user's tickets.

Is there a simple way to make rt-mailgate create new users with only a
short username?  (Obviously this would have to be smart enough to fall
back to user at domain if there's an existing user with the same short
username but a different address.)

And, if anyone's ever dealt with this problem before, I'd love to be
able to pick your brains about the merge issues.

-n

"Ever since the US election, there's been a lot of loose talk about
discovering the `will of the people.' What all the pundits and politicians
fail to realize is that the system worked perfectly and the people got EXACTLY
what they wanted: Another precious week of not having to call EITHER of those
losers `President.'"                                     (--Ian Barkley-Yeung)