[rt-users] Tricky situation with rt-mailgate

Tuc at Beach House tuc at tucs-beachin-obx-house.com
Sun May 1 23:00:30 EDT 2005

> > 	Not sure how that'll make a difference, since the ip for
> > rt.example.com is 10.0.0.1, which is load balanced against 10.0.0.2 and
> > 10.0.0.3 . If I just put .2 or just .3, then.....
>
> Your problem was having the two machines that are the target of the
> load-balancing be able to talk to one another without interference,
> correct?

	No.

	There is a 3rd machine, also behind the load balancer because it
is in the same subnet, that accepts the rt-mailgate traffic. Since it is
in the subnet with the load balanced site name, it can not reference the
load balanced name to work. There is a modification that we could make,
but it would then make every hit for EVERY site behind the balancer show
it originated from the same IP, which would be unacceptable.

> To do that, put in a second ethernet interfaces, *on a separate private
> network than the one behind the load balancer*, and you might have to
> play hosts-file name games to force the traffic to use that link.
>
> Sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear the first go-round.

	It comes back down to even with a 2nd interface, the load balanced
IP is still in the subnet of the first interface.

		Thanks, Tuc