[rt-users] Tricky situation with rt-mailgate

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon May 2 14:24:23 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 22:00, Tuc at Beach House wrote:
> > > 	Not sure how that'll make a difference, since the ip for
> > > rt.example.com is 10.0.0.1, which is load balanced against 10.0.0.2 and
> > > 10.0.0.3 . If I just put .2 or just .3, then.....
> >

> 	There is a 3rd machine, also behind the load balancer because it
> is in the same subnet, that accepts the rt-mailgate traffic. Since it is
> in the subnet with the load balanced site name, it can not reference the
> load balanced name to work. There is a modification that we could make,
> but it would then make every hit for EVERY site behind the balancer show
> it originated from the same IP, which would be unacceptable.

The simple fix is a hosts file entry on the mail machine to make it
use just one of the backend servers for the mailgate server instead
of the balanced IP returned by DNS.   Or install an RT instance on
the mail server itself connected to the same database and send it
there (which takes care of the fail-over part of the problem).

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com