[rt-users] using RT libraries on a different machine then our 'main' RT install

Asif Iqbal iqbala-rt-users at qwestip.net
Wed May 11 04:59:43 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 03:35:02PM, Emile Aben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into using RT perl libraries on a different machine then
> our RT-webinterface/mailgate/main-install runs on (currently version
> 3.0.9).
> I'd like to use the libraries to get information from the RT-database and
> do some local processing of that data.

You could use the 'rt' from <rt src>/bin dir. It talks to RT via HTTP or
HTTPS (depending on your setup). There are definitely some discussions
on rt the commandline API to RT.

> I couldn't find information in mailing-list archive and wiki about
> this, so I hope somebody can give me some insight in the do-s and the
> don't-s of this.
>
> The quick and dirty way of getting what I want is just copying over my
> /usr/local/rt3/ tree to my new machine, tweak the siteconfig a bit,
> and I'd have a bloated (I don't need the mailgate/webinterface) but
> possibly working version of rt there.
>
> A better way would be to just install the library part of RT from the
> RT distribution, but I haven't seen a way of only installing the
> library part, and not the rest of it, that I don't need on this

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?ManualInstallation explains how
to do that. Basically copy the src dir from your RT server and then run
'make libs-install'.  I did that from RT 3.2.3 and using it to build
mailgate on my mailserver. No more sendmail daemon on RT server.

> machine. Furthermore I don't know if it's possible/advisable to use >
> 3.0.9 RT libraries on a 3.0.9 RT install (has the database changed
> inbetween 3.0.9 and 3.2 or 3.4 branches?)

Not sure. Why not just upgrade your RT?

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu