[rt-users] Running Unix Shell and Oracle SQL Scripts from within Request Tracker

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 19 11:11:15 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 01:36:08PM +0100, Graham.Boddy at xansa.com wrote:
> I have just started on a new site where we use Request Tracker as a Support
> tool for logging calls and processing them. For this, it is very good.
>
> I am an Oracle DBA and have extensive knowledge of SQL, but none of PERL
> (O-O or not !), Mason, etc.
>
> In order to satisfy the management here, I have had to write several SQL
> scripts to extract management statistics (calls open, closed within certain
> time, etc) which I am currently running from the SQL*Plus command line
> directly from the RT Oracle Schema..
>
> I would like to make these available to the managers to use from within the
> application, but haven't got a clue where to start... All I want is the
> facility to run SQL/Unix shell scripts from the RT front-end, but I seem to
> be getting nowhere... Thought about using the Oracle "mod_plsql" module to
> do it, but really don't know where to start...
>
> Is anyone out there currently using RT to run SQL/Shell scripts for
> reporting purposes? Or can even just give me some pointers as to where to
> start ??
> We are using RT on an Oracle 9i database on Unix.

ISTM the easiest approach, if it's practical, might be to wrap your
shellscript calls in a CGI, and provide links to them.  It'll be a
first cut, anyway.

Alternatively, and possibly a bit more safely, cron the scripts, and
redirect the output into somewhere under your webroot.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me