[rt-users] Re: managing spam

Michael Brown brown_m_k at yahoo.ca
Fri May 20 09:47:36 EDT 2005

Asif Iqbal wrote:

> I am using rt 3.2.3 on my https RT server and I am using rt-mailgate
> on my mailserver separate from RT server. Every email first come into
> my mailserver, processed through spamassassin (qmail+qmail-scanner+spamd+clamd..)
> and dropped if detected as spam. Else piped into rt-mailgate and hence
> pushed to the right queue. However, there are some spams that slipped
> through the crack. I have a spam queue for users to drop those tickets
> into that queue.

Myself, I'm using Postfix, amavisd (which runs spamassassin and clamav),
and Cyrus IMAP as the final repository.  I decided to not send spam into
  RT (where it's detected as spam, anyway).  Because I didn't want to
risk losing legitimate e-mail, I configured + addressing for all my
users and RT queues.  So, e-mail to real users that is spam goes to
user+spam at domain.ca.  What I did to keep RT from getting spammed was to
set up aliases in /etc/aliases for each queue like

support: /usr/bin/rt-mailgate blah blah
support+spam: adminuser+spam

So, spam that is detected as spam gets delivered to adminuser's spam
folder on the IMAP server, and a human can decide if it's a user who
doesn't know how to use the caps lock key, or if it's really spam and
can get nuked.  You could set up salearn to read the adminuser's spam
for spam messages.

> Now I like to setup a process, that can run through cron, to go the spam
> queue can pickup the tickets including full leaders and process through
> my spam learner--sitting in my mailserver--and then delete them from the
> spam queue.
>
> The hardest part here for me is to be able to grab the tickets with full
> headers through a cronjob.
>
> I was wondering if anyone can help me with some tips on "how to collect
> a ticket from a queue with full header as a cronjob".

Can't help you there... most of my linux skills have been learned
through hard knock U + Google!

Best of Luck!

/Mike