[rt-users] Integration with existing mail server

Howard Jones howard.jones at network-i.net
Mon May 23 09:34:02 EDT 2005

William McKee wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 11:29:48PM +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>>I would like to know how to integrate RT with what we currently use for all
>>our company mail, namely exim.
>

> Gavin,
>
> I recently setup such a system using exim (with a lot of help from my
> hosting provider). Bascially, he added an MX subdomain to my DNS record
> and we setup an exim daemon to run on the system hosting RT which
> receives mail for the subdomain. Works great but I can't help you with
> the details as he did most of that for me.

We do a similar thing. Mail to support at network-i.net gets forwarded to
support at support.network-i.net on our main (qmail) mail server. There's a
second MX record for support.network-i.net, which is the server running
RT. Then we set up an alias as usual on the RT server to feed those
mails into the General queue. Both servers are running qmail, but
nothing is really qmail-specific. You could do it all with exim on
sendmail and their respective mail-forwarding mechanisms.

Coupled with setting the right outgoing addresses for the queues that
send correspondence, and no-one needs to know it's not all one machine.

Best Regards,

Howard