[rt-users] (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

Brian W. Spolarich bwspolarich at uscar.org
Wed May 25 10:46:11 EDT 2005

rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com wrote:
> I am getting errors now from sendmail similar to the subject line:
>
> May 25 00:06:40 glsrt sendmail[12707]: j4P3ND1e012364:
> to="|rt-mailgate - --queue general --action comment --url
> http://glsrt.gls.redhat.com/",
> ctladdr=<rt at glsrt.gls.redhat.com> (8/0), delay=00:43:27,
> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=304236, dsn=4.0.0,
> stat=Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
>
> I have a script in /etc/smrsh called rt-mailgate which contains the
> following:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate $*
>
> It's permissions look like this:
>
> - -rwxr-sr-x  1 root rt 38 May 24 23:21 /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate
>
> This is all running on RHEL4 and the version of sendmail is
> sendmail-8.13.1-2.
>
> I can't think what else there is to do... does anybody else
> have any ideas?

  I would look at a few things:

  1.  Mail spool files.  You'll see more details in the mail spool files
on what the program you're calling is emitting.

  2.  RT Log files.  Add something like this to RT_SiteConfig.pm:

Set($LogToSyslog    , 'error');
Set($LogToScreen    , 'error');
Set($LogToFile      , 'debug' );
Set($LogDir, '/opt/rt3/var/log');
Set($LogToFileNamed , "rt.log");    #log to rt.log

  and restart apache.

  3.  Can you execute /etc/shrsh/rt-mailgate by hand?  You should be
able to invoke it with its arguments (same as in aliases) and type some
stuff in and see what it does (or paste an actual RFC822 message into
it).

  I had some problems with wierd intermittent filesystem permissions on
my box (RHEL3) that was messing with rt-mailgate and I did this stuff to
diagnose it.

  -bws