[rt-users] Troubleshooting RT FastCGI Problems

Brian W. Spolarich bwspolarich at uscar.org
Tue May 31 08:55:10 EDT 2005

rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:23:36PM -0400, Jon Daley wrote:
>>  	I was hoping he was joking and didn't mean it at all.  On a
>> side-topic, I have not been impressed with redhat's up2date.  My
>> day-job's ISP uses up2date to update the web server occasionally, and
>> I think about 30% of the time it has caused an outage of one kind or
>> another.  I guess you have to have two servers, to make
> sure the updates don't break stuff.
>
> OT: Yes, you do.  Don't ever run updates cold on a production
> server, if you can at all help it.

  I'm a little surprised at the snarkiness of the responses to my
comment.  I'm very familiar with the "lets have an complete and
duplicate test environment" philosophy, which is great if you're running
a systems engineering department with lots of staff (which I have done).
In my current role I have an IT department of one (myself, half-time)
and hosted servers with a dedicated hosting provider.  Having a
duplicate test environment is unrealistic.

  I did bother to offer my experiences because I thought they might be
actually helpful to others. :-)

  RT _IS_ a rather fragile and picky application -- it has lots of
external dependencies, is relatively hard to install, and I've been able
to break it inadvertently on a number of occasions.  That doesn't mean
RT isn't a very good application -- its definitely the best thing out
there in the OSS space in my opinion, and I like much of the design
philosophy behind it.  But that doesn't mean it couldn't be more
self-contained.

  Regards,

  -brian