[rt-users] Viewing RT as a (read-only) IMAP server

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:01:45 EST 2005

On 11/9/05, Bob Goldstein <bobg at uic.edu> wrote:

> >Yes. It would be very cool. The IMAP protocol is non-trivial. Sadly,
> >I've not found a good solid IMAP server library for perl that we could
> >make use of.
> >

>    Interesting.  And it wouldn't have to be read-only -- you
>    could use imap to change queues.  And a "reply" could
>    be a real email reply, that in fact appended to the ticket.
>    (Wouldn't be too hard to insert some sort of email header
>    that provided credentials that proved the sender got it
>    from imap, and therefore could resolve, delete, assign, etc.
>
>    Not that I have any time to throw at this, but were you
>    looking for a pure-perl imap server?  Or a C library where you
>    could embed a perl interpreter for handling a "mailbox driver"?
>    Or would you do this similarly to the CLI, where the imap
>    server would make web calls?
IMHO not really IMAP server is required, but library(or server) that
covers IMAP server protocol and runs external callbacks to do things
in storage. Solution shouldn't be tied to some particular storage, but
should allow us to develop(embed) own storage engine(RT DB) with
custom plugin or driver(doesn't matter how to name it).

--
Best regards, Ruslan.