[rt-users] Performance with many attachments and transactions

Ben Goodwin ben at atomicmatrix.net
Tue Nov 29 18:34:40 EST 2005

I hate to chime in with a "me too" especially without hard data but:

We were running 3.5.something on a dual P3 1.4 with 2 gig ram and 15kRPM
SCSI RAID as the webserver and the same configuration for the database on
another box.  Loading tickets with any reasonable amount of history to them
was slow, and tickets with a lot of history would take 90 seconds to load.
All the time was spent in Perl (not the database, which was 85% in RAM).  So
I decided to upgrade.  We now have the webserver and DB server on a single
dual P4 Xeon 3.4GHz (2MB cache 800 MHz bus) with 6 gig of ram on RHEL4.  The
DB is about 1.5 gig so the ENTIRE DB is in RAM - DB calls are nice and fast.
Full content searches take < 10 seconds (MySQL).  However, ticket displays,
while faster, are not nearly as improved as I'd hoped.  The same 90-second
ticket is down to about 60 seconds - again, all perl (FCGI under Apache2),
sitting at 100% CPU until the rendering is done.  One of these days I'll
spend time looking into this but thought I'd at least chime in to indicate
"you're not alone" as well as indicate that even with very beefy hardware,
it's still slow.

	-=| Ben