[rt-users] Syslog-related Error message

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 09:16:39 EST 2005

On 11/30/05, Mike Friedman <mikef at ack.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I've been running RT 3.4.2 in production for about a week and looking
> around to make sure things are OK.  At unpredictable times when I perform
> a transaction using the web interface, I see the following error message.
> Usually, the message stops occurring if I retry the transaction once or
> twice.
>
> I've lost my copy of the full message, including a back trace, that showed
> up in the web interface itself.  But here's what appeared at about the
> same time in my log (lines wrapped by me for readability):
>

>   [Tue Nov 29 17:57:27 2005] [error] [client 128.32.76.10] FastCGI: server "/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi"
>      stderr: stream /dev/conslog is not writable at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Log/Dispatch/Syslog.pm line 77
>   [Tue Nov 29 17:57:27 2005] [error] [client 128.32.76.10] FastCGI: server "/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi"
>      stderr: console is not writable at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Log/Dispatch/Syslog.pm line 77
>
> The problem, as I've indicated, is transient.  In this case I was just
> displaying the content of a ticket when the problem occurred.  Because
> it's transient, I wonder if there is some kind of locking or enqueuing
> issue relating to syslog itself.
>
> Any ideas.
I think problem is in Log::Dispatch, Log::Dispatch::Syslog or in your
syslog configuration.
Easiest you can do is turn off logging to syslog and turn logging to
file in the RT config.
You also could try to update Log::Dispatch module and/or ask devlopers
of the module for help.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.