[rt-users] Started over, almost there. (Was: First-time RT install questions.)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 23 16:44:03 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 12:37:46PM -0400, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>    On 10/21/05, Drew Barnes <[1]barnesaw at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu> wrote:
>
>      You  did  stop  apache  completely  and then start it, right?  As I
>      recall, a
>      simple restart doesn't always do it.
>      Perhaps stop apache, empty the mason cache (rm -rf
>      rtdir/var/mason_data/obj/*) and then start apache again?
>
>    No,  I didn't - I've been using restart. I'll be sure to try this when
>    I get back to work Monday.

I've found that 'svc apache restart' (svc is my wrapper script for the
init.d scripts) doesn't help most of the time; I added a manual
'bounce' option.

 ===
#!/bin/bash
# service helper script

# go to the directory
cd /etc/init.d

# if no argument, list services and exit
[ $# = 0 ] && ls && exit 0

# must exist (no longer check executable, since root will be able to run it)
[ -f $1 ] || { echo "$1: no such service" && exit 1; }

# if we're not root, fix it
[ $UID = 0 ] || exec su root -c "$0 $*"

# run the actual script
SCRIPT=$1
shift

case $1 in
        on)
                ./$SCRIPT start
                echo "Enabling $SCRIPT..."
                chkconfig $SCRIPT on
                exit 0
                ;;
        off)
                ./$SCRIPT stop
                echo "Disabling $SCRIPT..."
                chkconfig $SCRIPT off
                exit 0
                ;;
        bounce) ./$SCRIPT stop
                ./$SCRIPT start
                exit 0
                ;;
        *)      ./${SCRIPT} $*
                ;;
esac
 ===

Cheers,
-- jra

	"NPR has a lot in common with Nascar... we both turn to the left."
		- Peter Sagal, on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!