[rt-users] Backing up the system

Ryan von Gleich rvongleich at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 10:57:29 EDT 2005

We use the script below, I believe that all the binaries should be in two
locations, the base files path and then your 'local' customizations path.

#!/bin/bash
#
# backupRT.sh
#
# Runs a file level backup of the contents of the following
# directories:
#
# /usr/local/share/request-tracker3.4
# /usr/share/request-tracker3.4
#
# Into a file named rtappbak-{date}.tar.gz
#
# Last Revision: August 11, 2005
#

curday=`date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`
prefn="rtappbak-"
fullfn=$prefn$curday.tgz
rtbakCHANGES_FILE=/root/tmp/rtbakfiles
# You can change this to another directory for the tmp files.
# I don't like to dump in /tmp
fullFILENAME=`pwd`$fullfn

# do the backup
tar cvzf $fullfn /usr/local/share/request-tracker3.4/usr/share/request-tracker$

#get the file list and send to $rtbakCHANGES_FILE
tar tvzf $fullfn > $rtbakCHANGES_FILE